Re: Debian Compatable UPS?

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005, Marty wrote:
> I found this on the APC web site:
> http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=AP9825#

That's a current loop converter, it isolates the signals in the data cable
against interference (because it uses current and not voltage to encode the
signals, and it takes a LOT more EM to indue a lot of noise in a current
loop), and decouples the two sides ("floats the ground") since the current
loop is differential by nature.  I don't know how well it would suppress a
surge.

A surge suppressor is something much simpler.  A google search for "serial
line surge suppressor" gives good results:

Some "budget" ones:
http://www.bb-elec.com/product_family.asp?FamilyId=108&TrailType=Sub&Trail=94

There even is an USB surge protector, I didn't know they were easy to find
already.  Good :)

If you are paranoid or you know you will get a lot of big surges, you can
get a bad-ass one for a bit more (but still below US$ 100):
http://www.bb-elec.com/product_family.asp?FamilyId=38&TrailType=Sub&Trail=94

  Henrique Holschuh