Re: Debian Compatable UPS?

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> >Well, my SmartUPS XL is on production for more than one year so far.  The
> >AVR works wonderfully (my main is a bit high, at ~125V so the AVR is
> >*always* on), too.  It sustains the current load I placed on it for > 1h,
> >and plays by the book, shutting the load down cleanly and powering it up
> >cleanly later.
>
> Did you buy a replacement battery when you bought the unit?

No, I have a spare UPS of another manufacturer if this one fails.  At the
time it was bought, APC products were just starting to show up in Brazil at
an acceptable price (they were waaay too expensive before) so another unit
from another manufacturer was considered a better choice.  Nowadays maybe I
would consider buying a spare battery set if I buy a new APC, but the spare
batteries would degrade while in storage anyway... and replacing batteries
every few months to cycle them is not really an option I like.  A spare unit
is easier to take care of.

In my experience with other small UPS (< 10kVA) manufacturers, the batteries
often fail, but so does the control circuirty... and nearly as often (which
is worrisome, and the reason why I am trying APC instead of staying with
these guys).  Strange as it may be, I have never had an inverter bridge
failure.

The UPS is undergoing a full cycle now (AKA I pulled the main power), so
that I can time the power-offline uptime of the unit again.  I will report
back if it is significantly less than what it used to manage when new.

  Henrique Holschuh