Re: Should I try Etch?

On Friday 07 October 2005 16.50, Redefined Horizons wrote:
> I'm still rather new to Linux, and I've been running Debian Sarge for a
> couple of months. However, I am eager to try the new features in Gnome
> 2.12, and I remember someone on the list writing that it ships with
> Sebian Etch. So I thought I would try running Etch, and I had some
> questions: [1] What problems am I likely to encounter running Etch? Is
> it really something I should stay away from as a new user? (The box I
> want to install on is for experimentation, and isn't mission critical.)
>  [2] Are there other advantages I'll get from running Etch, other than
> Gnome 2.12? Is Etch running OpenOffice 2.0?
>  [3] I burned all 14 CDs of the Debian Sarge distro. Will I need to
> download all of the CDs for the Etch distribution, or can I reuse some
> of those package CDs?
>  [4] Do they need more users to test Etch, or will my questions just be
> a pain in the neck for developers?
>  Thanks,
>  Scott Huey

I am running Sid, and I don't have much time to fix any problems when they
happen because of a day job etc. I tend to upgrade only when I have to,
when I want to install a package that requires more things to be
upgraded. Then I do a full upgrade. I can't say I have had many big
problems. You have some minor ones all the time, but hey this is free
software. So if you want to use the latest software, upgrade to etch or
sid, take it easy on the upgrades, and expect some minor problems. I
don't know but I'm in it partly to learn new things and sid is the
perfect place for that. :-)

Have fun
Olle

--