Re: mysql installation

alrenaud@swissinfo.org wrote:

My MySQL installation does not have a mysql.sock
file(it is not anywhere in my system).So,when I
try to connect to the mysql server the connection
fails.My Debian system when starting shows that mysql server is starting,when stopping shows that
mysql server is stopping.The installation was done
with aptitude.

I think I had the same problem as you.
I found the  solution at:
http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?35,40155,40155

First I made a backup folder for the mysql database files
mkdir /var/lib/mysql/mysql-backup

then moved there the database files
mv /var/lib/mysql/mysql /var/lib/mysql/mysql-backup

Then I reinstalled mysql-server with apt-get
apt-get --reinstall install mysql-server

It worked fine for me!

--
Mitja Podreka
http://mitja.kizej.net