preferred method of using imap/mutt

Hi,

I've been using mutt happily w/ my POP email account for a good long while now, but i'm switching over to an IMAP server. I've been using thunderbird (which is cool, but it's eating up sooo much RAM), and i would like to go back to mutt. Reading through the muttrc manpage, it seems that mutt has IMAP functionality built in, but i could not get a clear picture of whether or not it will do what i want. This is what i would like to happen:

1. mutt opens up the mail on the imap server
2. mutt filters the mail into folders based on certian rules (mailing lists, etc.)
3. mutt keeps all mail on server

w/ the POP of course i had to download the mail, so i used procmail for the filtering. Is what i'm wanting to do even possible (i know it is w/ thunderbird, etc.). How are the folks on this list doing it?

Thanks,
Cameron Matheson