Re: Fwd: gnome program problem

Are you trying to connect remotely?
If you are, then you have to use "xhost" to give permission for remote
X Clients to connect to your X Server computer. Remember, the X Server
is the computer that is connected to the keyboard and mouse that you
will be using. The X Client is the computer that runs the program. In
other words, the X Server is the local computer, and the X Client is
the remote computer.

Example 1:
--------------------------------------
X Server hostname: xserver.local.com
X Client hostname: xclient.remote.com

On the X Server...
user1@xserver.local.com:~$ xhost +xclient.remote.com

On the X Client (possibly using SSH login)...
user2@xclient.remote.com:~$ export DISPLAY=xserver.local.com:0
user2@xclient.remote.com:~$ gimp &
user2@xclient.remote.com:~$
--------------------------------------

NOTES:
1. This example assumes the display number used on the X Server is 0.
The DISPLAY environment variable on xclient.remote.com should be
"xserver.local.com:<display_num>", where <display_num> is the display
number being used.
2. Host names can be changed to IP addresses instead.
3. I believe this should work. There may be firewall/NAT issues, but I
don't know what ports need to be opened.
4. The '&' in the command "gimp &" is optional.

Or, you could use SSH and do it the simple, secure way.
Example 2:
On X Server:
user1@xserver.local.com:~$ ssh -X user2@xclient.remote.com
Password: