Re: playing midi with timiditySOLVED

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005, Joe Mc Cool wrote:
> then
> 	timidity /tmp/sweetness.of.mary.mid
> 	-su: /usr/local/bin/timidity: No such file or directory

which timidity

If it doesn't return /usr/bin/timidity, you have some left-over crap in your
system (and NOT from any Debian timidity package).

> it hangs and no sound.

As expected, as you ignored the recommended package freepats.

> soundfont /uj/usr/joe/soundfonts/kawaistereogrand.sf2

Ok.

> Now, it does play, but it seems to gradually get slower and slower, to
> the point where it grinds to a halt, vibrating continually and shakily
> on the one note.

Please send me the MIDI file if you want me to futher try to debug the
issue.

> model name	: Pentium II (Deschutes)
> cpu MHz		: 300.775

I don't think a P-II 300 can handle timidity at full CPU-hogging mode very
well.  See /usr/share/doc/timidity/README.Debian for less CPU-hungry
configs.

> I really would like to use alsa, under 2.6.

It works fine, just give it -Os (or set it in /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg).

Oh, and try -in, the ncurses interface is the best maintained interface for
TiMidity.  In fact, -in and -ia are the only two interfaces worth bothering
with (other than -iA which is for something completely different).

  Henrique Holschuh