Re: apache2 mod_perl sarge not working

On mandag 03 oktober 2005, 03:55, marek wrote:
> Is there any documentation on how mod_perl2 differs in Sarge from the
> official release?

There is the renaming documentation:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/rename.html
which details the renaming that was performed on the Release Candidate
that was sent out after the version that is in sarge, so you can
interprete that document as "what didn't happen".

Then, there is the changelog:
http://search.cpan.org/~gozer/mod_perl/Changes
The version in Sarge is 1.999_21, so there is everything above that.

> In addition does anyone know when the "official" release of mod_perl2
> will be included in Sarge?

Most probably, the answer to that is "never". However, all hope is not
lost, because Norbert Tretkowski maintains a backport repository, and
you can get the packages from there:

mod_perl 2.0.1 itself:
http://www.backports.org/pending/libapache2-mod-perl2/

and quite likely you'd want this too:
http://www.backports.org/pending/libapreq2/

They are (AFAIK) not apt-getable yet.

I have not tested these packages, but I believe they have not changed
since he made the packages we run at work in production, which has
proved themselves under very high loads. So, these are recommendable.

> And could I help in getting the official release into Sarge?

It is a highly complex question. The policy for updates to Sarge is
here:
http://people.debian.org/~joey/3.1r1/

Now, I'd argue that using these packages _would_ result in an overly
broken system. However, if there are people out there, and there may
well be, who have developed their apps knowing full well that the final
release never made it to sarge, updating these packages will break
their system. And even though I would never run the packages in Sarge
in production, I can understand people making an argument that it
should not happen in a point release. That's the stability you get,
you'll never break a system that works by an upgrade.

So, well, I think the simple solution here is to use the backports...

Cheers,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo
Programmer / Astrophysicist / Ski-orienteer / Orienteer / Mountaineer