Re: Looking for a way to check for status of DHCP connection

On 10/01/2005 07:00 PM, Arjen Verweij wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an annoying problem lately. Sometimes my cable internet (DHCP)
> breaks down. It is usually fixable by:
>
> sudo ifdown eth1
> sudo ifup eth1
>
> For now I have written a small perl script that runs as root, to do this
> for me in case the connection seems to be gone.
>
> Is there a more elegant way to accomplish this? I tried adjusting the
> leasetime in dhclient.conf, but it seems the DHCP server of the CMTS
> ignores this field.
>
> Please Cc: me on replies, I'm not subscribed to debian-user.
>
> Regards,
>
> Arjen

Perhaps ifplugd?

~$ apt-cache show ifplugd
Package: ifplugd
Section: net
Installed-Size: 268
Maintainer: Oliver Kurth <oku@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 0.26-2
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4), libdaemon0 (>= 0.7), debconf (>= 1.2.0)
Recommends: ifupdown (>= 0.6.4-4.2)
Filename: pool/main/i/ifplugd/ifplugd_0.26-2_i386.deb
Size: 55928
MD5sum: afed995ce2720e6183d003f22be39068
 ifplugd is a daemon which will automatically configure your
 ethernet device when a cable is plugged in and automatically
 unconfigure it if the cable is pulled. This is useful on laptops with
 onboard network adapters, since it will only configure the interface
 when a cable is really connected.
 .
 Some features:
  * May beep when the cable is unplugged, plugged, the interface
    configuration succeeded or failed.
  * Syslog support
  * small
  * Multiple ethernet interface support
  * Support for wireless networking. Whenever an association to an AP
    is detected the network is configured. Have a look on waproamd
    if you need a facility to configure WEP keys before AP
    associations succeed.
  * Compatibility mode for network devices which do not support cable
    detection