GRUB loader error message

I was having trouble getting the grub loader to work
on my machine after having to re-install Windoze XP.
Finally I got the grub menu to come up but Debian will
not load properly.

/dev/hdb2 is the location of /root/grub

The commands for loading Debian are listed as follows:

****
root (hd1,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.27-2-686 root=/dev/hdb2 ro
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.4.27-2-686
savedefault
boot
****

The output from this series of commands is:

****
root (hd1,1)
  Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0xf
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.27-2-686 root=/dev/hdb2 ro

Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition
****

I did notice that there is no grub.conf in the
/root/grub folder.

(Note: Windows XP will load off the grub menu,
although it gives some errors also.)

What is going on here? Any help is appreciated.

http://mail.yahoo.com