Re: x window / starting the desktop

Kent West wrote:

>In X, the server is the basic GUI "engine". As a general rule, it would
>sit on your local computer where the user sits. The "X server" is kind
>of like the blue screen on a Windows computer that appears just before
>the Start Menu and Taskbar and "My Computer" appear.
>
>The "clients" are applications that run within the X server. These
>clients probably sit on your local computer, but they may also sit on a
>remote computer. "X clients" are kind of like the Notepad app or
>MS-Office on a Windows computer.

A "window manager", like Icewm, is a specific type of "client", in case
you were wondering which category it fits into. A "windowing
environment", like KDE,  is a related group of clients, such as kwm -
KDE's window manager, and Konqueror - KDE's web browser and file
manager, etc.

>Icewm may not be smart enough to pick up
>the menu changes without restarting X, which can be done without
>restarting X, but you'll probably find it easier just to restart X).

Arg. Should be:

Icewm may not be smart enough to pick up the menu changes without
restarting Icewm itself, which can be done without restarting X, but
you'll probably find it easier just to restart X.

--
Kent