Multiple apps playing sound (xmms,vmware etc) on Sarge

Hi,

I want to share sound between apps (e.g. 2 VMware session with Windows
playing sound while listening to my favorite MP3's with xmms). I have
followed the instructions from the alsa site and I can play multiple
MP3s with alsaplayer and mpg321 at the same time.

But I cannot start a VMWare session without an error about "/dev/dsp"
being busy.

Is there anyone with a Tyan S2885 which has an Intel 8x0 /AMD8111
onboard soundcard that has this working?

If so, what is the magic trick?

TIA

--
Groeten,