Audio i/o

Hello:

I am trying to use an audio editing/recording program named Audacity. When I start the program, I an error saying that it failed to initialise the audio i/o error. I changed the ownership of /dev/dsp to the user and set permissions to 666. Now if I first run 'killall artsd' Audacity starts with no errors. The problem that I have is that I did not have to do these things with a previous install of my os. Any ideas as to how I can just run the program without the work around?

TIA

roger