Re: call for a vote -- should debian-user mailing list replies go to author or to list?

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 19:56:03 -0700
Marc Wilson <msw@cox.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 06:05:21PM +1000, charlie wrote:
> > Am new here, but think that reply to list is standard on all Linux
> > learning lists?
>
> You'd be wrong.  Dead wrong.
>
> Personally, my belief is that Reply-To is for idiots.  Push the damn
> button already depending on where YOU expect the message to go (where it
> goes is where *I* damn well expect it to go, and nowhere else), and get
> on with things.
>
> Oh, you use a brain-dead mailer that thinks it knows better than you?
> Your loss.  Think about it.

Sorry, badly written. What was meant was:- that the standard way to answer
any query is to reply to the list, not the sender of the query. This way
helps everyone. Especially those who might have the same/similar problem
and not want to expose themselves. As there are still many new to Linux
that believe there is such a thing as a stupid question. Forgetting that
any question can be ignored, there is no obligation to answer.

So Reply to list and the poster will find what they are looking for. Not
that the "Reply to List" should be the only option available.

Sorry about the confusion, a later post of mine might have cleared that up.

  +++++++
Registered Linux User:- 329524
The knowledge of an unlearned man is living and luxuriant like a forest,
but covered with mosses and lichens and for the most part inaccessible and
going to waste; the knowledge of the man of science is like timber
collected in yards for public works, which still supports a green sprout
here and there, but even this is liable to dry rot.
.............................Henry David Thoreau

Trying Linux Debian Sarge