Could not create the Java virtual machine

All,

After doing some security updates on stable today, I can no longer run
the sun jre (1.4 or 1.5) installed on my system.  I've also tried the
blackdown packages but both produce the same error.  When I run "java
-v", I get "Could not create the Java virtual machine."   Is anyone
else having this problem?

Interestingly, free-java-sdk will run but is not an acceptable
solution since particular features of my customers application do not
work with that jre.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Chris Bozic