Caution about preferences and security

I had testing set with a preference of 600 in /etc/apt/preferences.
Even though I had security in my sources.list, none of the updates were
getting installed.

Preference priority matters more than package version number, so the
security updates weren't going in despite their higher number.

I lowered the priority to 500 for testing, and everything worked.

My preferences file has no explicit mention of stable; I think that
means it's considered 500.  I didn't see this info explicitly on the man
page.
--
Ross Boylan                                      wk:  (415) 502-4031
530 Parnassus Avenue (Library) rm 115-4          ross@biostat.ucsf.edu