debian-user-digest Digest V2005 #2076

----- Message from Unknown on Unknown -----

debian-user-digest Digest
Volume 2005 : Issue 2076

Today's Topics:
  Re: diary with encryption             [ Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk>
]
  Re: usb issues in sarge: scanner, mu  [ Antonio Rodriguez
<arodriguez31@cfl ]
  Re: Firefox and Debian Testing: Gett  [ Peter J Ross <pjr.spam@gmail.com>
]
  Re: Firefox and Debian Testing: Gett  [ Carl Fink <carlf@fink.to> ]
  Deb packages dependent tree           [ "pavel.orehov@gmail.com"
<pavel.ore ]
  Re: Deb packages dependent tree       [ Werner Mahr
<werner@vollstreckernet ]
]
  Re: can't connect with putty <SOLVED  [ Frank Gevaerts
<frank@gevaerts.be> ]
  cant copy file                        [ "Lars" <debs@utysket.dk> ]
  Re: Firefox and Debian Testing: Gett  [ Jonathan Kaye
<jonathan.kaye@univie ]
  Re: Firefox and Debian Testing: Gett  [ Peter J Ross <pjr.spam@gmail.com>
]
  Re: cant copy file                    [ Lars Roland <lroland@gmail.com> ]
  Re: Firefox and Debian Testing: Gett  [ Vincent Lefevre
<vincent@vinc17.org ]
  apache2/perl/mysql pkgs               [ brett <debian@bookcellar.com.au>
]
  Re: Firefox and Debian Testing: Gett  [ Vincent Lefevre
<vincent@vinc17.org ]
  Re: Firefox and Debian Testing: Gett  [ Vincent Lefevre
<vincent@vinc17.org ]
  Re: Deb packages dependent tree       [ "Roberto C. Sanchez"
<roberto@famil ]
  Assistance Request Denied             [ "TomTom Support"
<do_not_reply@tomt ]
  Re: diary with encryption             [ Ralph Katz <ralph.katz@rcn.com> ]
  Re: Two problems: Low resolution and  [ bmarcum@iglou.com (Bill Marcum) ]
  Re: Two problems: Low resolution and  [ bmarcum@iglou.com (Bill Marcum) ]
  Re: diary with encryption             [ Jeronimo Pellegrini
<pellegrini@mpc ]
  uncompressing .sitx with unstuff      [ brownh@hartford-hwp.com (Haines
Bro ]

----- Message from Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk> on Wed, 17 Aug 2005
10:46:26 +0100 -----

               To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

          Subject: Re: diary with encryption

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 06:57:53AM +0200, Laszlo Boszormenyi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for an application which can store my notes in an
> _encrypted_ way. Preferably it is GTK+ or console based, and
> has some development to keep up with the current GTK+ version
> at least.

You can use cfs to make a small encrypted filesystem out of a normal
directory; then you can store your diary in the encrypted filesystem.

   Do you want to know God?   http://www.lfix.co.uk/knowing_god.html

----- Message from Antonio Rodriguez <arodriguez31@cfl.rr.com> on Wed, 17
Aug 2005 06:10:58 -0400 -----

           To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

      Subject: Re: usb issues in sarge: scanner, multicard

> It was a kernel problem, I had not thought of that. I went ahead,
> grabbed a kernel image from sid, installed it (2.6.11) and all usb
> and scanner permissions problems dissapeared. But now there is no
> sound, I tried to find any info in kern.log, syslog, but didn't see any
> reference to alsa. However, I noticed that a message flashed on the
> screen as it booted, something like: alsainit failed, not exactly
> sure. No sound, but aumix and gnome mixer show volume to 100%!
>
> I think that a note about this problem with the kernel in sarge must
> be posted as installation note, and may be in the website some link to
> a newer 2.6.x kernel, because I assume that there will be a bunch of
> people with similar problems. (Sarge, kernel people, I hope you read
> this)
>
> Thanks, and looking forward to more input to solve the sound issue
> (emu10k1).

Running alsaconf I brought it back, but it didnt survive next
reboot. Would alsactl store do the trick? Why this problem now, is the
way 2.6.8 and 2.6.11 deal with alsa different?

----- Message from Peter J Ross <pjr.spam@gmail.com> on Wed, 17 Aug 2005
10:54:57 +0100 -----

        To: debian-users <debian-user@lists.debian.org>

   Subject: Re: Firefox and Debian Testing: Getting Security Updates?

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 01:01:20AM -0500, a.list.address@gmail.com wrote:

> I could upgrade Firefox to the version that's in unstable, but there
> are two problems:

If a package in testing is the same version as in stable, the security
updates ought to work for it. Try adding security.debian.org to your
sources.list and see what happens.

--
PJR :-)

----- Message from Carl Fink <carlf@fink.to> on Wed, 17 Aug 2005 06:15:18
-0400 -----

        To: debian-users <debian-user@lists.debian.org>

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 10:54:57AM +0100, Peter J Ross wrote:

> If a package in testing is the same version as in stable, the security
> updates ought to work for it ...

... right up until there are major library changes in Unstable.  Such
changes are happening now.  Once that happens the dependencies for the
Stable package will tend to be unmet.
--
Carl Fink                                         carl@fink.to
If you attempt to fix something that isn't broken, it will be.

----- Message from "pavel.orehov@gmail.com" <pavel.orehov@gmail.com> on 17
Aug 2005 02:56:21 -0700 -----

               To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

          Subject: Deb packages dependent tree

Hi,

Is there is a simple way to get all deb packages that on dependent tree
of some deb package.

For example i have deb package A that depends of package B and C. And B
depends of D.
I want to run some command on A and get B, C, D.

Thanks,
Pavel

----- Message from Werner Mahr <werner@vollstreckernet.de> on Wed, 17 Aug
2005 12:32:52 +0200 -----

             To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

        Subject: Re: Deb packages dependent tree

Am Mittwoch, 17. August 2005 11:56 schrieb pavel.orehov@gmail.com:

> I want to run some command on A and get B, C, D.

Something like apt-get install?

--
MfG usw.

Werner Mahr
registered Linuxuser: 295882
(See attached file: attm1mxn.dat)
----- Message from Joerg Sommer <joerg@alea.gnuu.de> on Tue, 16 Aug 2005
22:03:32 +0000 (UTC) -----

               To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

Hi,

can someone explain me the meaning of the list header

What is the last number? Can I construct the url of this article in the
archive? And can I use this number to report spam anyhow?

Thanks for your help,

Jörg.
--
Richard is only to blame for his inability to spell /dev/disk correctly.
Albert Cahalan, <1072236794.1743.244.camel@cube>, lkml

----- Message from Frank Gevaerts <frank@gevaerts.be> on Wed, 17 Aug 2005
12:16:00 +0200 -----

           To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

      Subject: Re: can't connect with putty <SOLVED>

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 09:24:51AM +0000, Daniel McBrearty wrote:
> for anyone who might benefit from this in future ... it's a DLink
problem.

It is not necessary to turn off dhcp. Just add a
"prepend domain-name-servers" line to /etc/dhclient.conf

Frank

> Thanks to all those who responded.
>

> --
listmaster@lists.debian.org

----- Message from "Lars" <debs@utysket.dk> on Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:01:53
-0000 (GMT) -----

               To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

          Subject: cant copy file

Some times when i want to copy a directory it's omitted, and i dont get
it. It has nothing to do with permissions, because i can 'mv' it with no
problem.
      debs:# cp /root/.openoffice/ /home/nogetfx/
      cp: omitting directory `/root/.openoffice/'

Any ideas on this?

/lars

----- Message from Jonathan Kaye <jonathan.kaye@univie.ac.at> on Wed, 17
Aug 2005 13:06:09 +0200 -----

        To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

En/La a.list.address@gmail.com ha escrit, a 17/08/05 08:01:
> I'm a happy user of Testing, but I'm a bit concerned about getting
> updates to Firefox in a timely manner.  The current version in Testing
> is 1.0.4-2, which has recently-announced vulnerabilities in it.  The
> vulns (I don't like typing that word :) have been fixed in the version
> in Sarge, 1.0.4-2sarge1.  They've been fixed in Unstable as well, in
> 1.0.6-2.
<snip>
Another way to go is to not wait for debian packages. I go directly to
the firefox, thunderbird, openoffice, etc. and download the latest
releases. I'm running Firefox 1.0.6 on testing (2.6.8-2) with zero
problems. Same for TB 1.0.6 and OO 1.9.122. I can't recall every having
a problem with firefox running this way. Download the tarball from the
FF site, extract the files to a folder (usually called
firefox-installer) and then copy the folder to its permanent home (I
stick it in /opt). Rename the previous folder (if you have one)
firefox.old, then rename firefox-installer, firefox and that's all there
is to it.
Jonathan

--
Please don't cc: your posting to my personal address.
Thank you.

        To: debian-users <debian-user@lists.debian.org>

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 06:15:18AM -0400, Carl Fink wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 10:54:57AM +0100, Peter J Ross wrote:
>
> > If a package in testing is the same version as in stable, the security
> > updates ought to work for it ...
>
> ... right up until there are major library changes in Unstable.  Such
> changes are happening now.  Once that happens the dependencies for the
> Stable package will tend to be unmet.

Once a new version of a package arrives in Testing, security updates
for the older version won't apply to it, so it ought to be safe to add
the security repository as a source while using Testing. Your
objection is, however, valid when one tries to downgrade a package
manually.

It's not a perfect solution, and, as Testing changes, it will work
less and less often, but it will help in some cases, and this is one
such case.

--
PJR :-)

----- Message from Lars Roland <lroland@gmail.com> on Wed, 17 Aug 2005
13:11:13 +0200 -----

> Some times when i want to copy a directory it's omitted, and i dont get
> it. It has nothing to do with permissions, because i can 'mv' it with no
> problem.
>       debs:# cp /root/.openoffice/ /home/nogetfx/
>       cp: omitting directory `/root/.openoffice/'
>
> Any ideas on this?

if you do a  "man cp" you will find:

 "By default, `cp' does not copy directories (see -r below)."

so try adding a "-r" (or -a)

--
Lars Roland

----- Message from Vincent Lefevre <vincent@vinc17.org> on Wed, 17 Aug 2005
13:07:22 +0200 -----

        To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

On 2005-08-17 01:01:20 -0500, a.list.address@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm a happy user of Testing, but I'm a bit concerned about getting
> updates to Firefox in a timely manner.  The current version in Testing
> is 1.0.4-2, which has recently-announced vulnerabilities in it.  The
> vulns (I don't like typing that word :) have been fixed in the version
> in Sarge, 1.0.4-2sarge1.  They've been fixed in Unstable as well, in
> 1.0.6-2.
>
> But when will this version come to Testing?

This may take months because of dependencies, even though the
urgency level is set to high.

> I looked in the bug tracker, but I couldn't find any good bug to
> prevent these newer versions from moving to Testing.

You should look at the package developer page:

  http://packages.qa.debian.org/m/mozilla-firefox.html

There you have: "The package has not yet entered testing even though
the 0-day delay is over. Check why." and by clicking on "Check why",
you can see all the dependency problems, in particular.

> Now, I'm far from an expert, and I'm still fairly new to Debian (less
> than a year), but it seems like something needs to change.  I don't
> want to run Unstable on my computer, but I don't want to be stuck with
> vulnerable browsers either.

This is a bit incompatible. If you want security fixes, you may use
testing, but you need to watch the security announces and may need
to do upgrades/downgrades manually. There are no security fixes for
testing, only for stable. Security bugs are fixed in unstable too
(then moved later to testing), but even in unstable, this may take
time.

What I do is to get testing by default and upgrade packages from
unstable when need be (a good advice is to look at the important+
bugs first for packages like libc6, and use apt-listbugs).

> I could upgrade Firefox to the version that's in unstable, but there
> are two problems:
>
>  1) This is a poor long-term solution, having to manually upgrade
> packages and their dependencies to fix security problems;
>
> 2) I can't even do that in this case, because Firefox 1.0.6-2 depends
> on libxinerama1, which depends on libc6 >=2.3.5, but Testing is still
> on libc6 2.3.2.

Yes, you need to install all the dependencies. Otherwise, you should
either install the package from the (stable) security updates (with
the corresponding dependencies) or install the program from upstream.
Getting the source package and recompile it to avoid dynamical
dependencies may also be a solution, but you may need to compile
several packages... This isn't necessarily a good solution.

> This is simply a mess.  Actually, now that I think about it, I suppose
> the reason 1.0.6-2 hasn't moved into Testing is because of the
> dependency problem of libxinerama1 and libc6.  But who knows when the
> new version of libc6 will get into Testing?  It may be a very long
> time.  In the meantime, are we Testing users supposed to keep using a
> vulnerable version of Firefox?

Non, testing users are supposed to upgrade the needed packages to
unstable. In general, there are no problems. In fact, it is even
not clear that there are fewer problems with testing than with
unstable. The main "problem" with unstable is that there are more
packages to upgrade (you can see it as an advantage as well, i.e.
to have more up-to-date packages).

----- Message from brett <debian@bookcellar.com.au> on Wed, 17 Aug 2005
21:29:36 +1000 -----

               To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

          Subject: apache2/perl/mysql pkgs

Greetings,
I am looking to use perl cgi scripts with apache2 and mysql but I am not
exactly sure which packages would will fullfill this requirement in
Debian. I have read a number of package desciptions and howtos but none
are really debian specific. I already have mysql installed. Do I now
only need: apache2, libapache-dbi-perl and libapache2-mod-perl2 ?

Thanks,
Brett

----- Message from Vincent Lefevre <vincent@vinc17.org> on Wed, 17 Aug 2005
13:23:03 +0200 -----

        To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

On 2005-08-17 09:34:02 +0200, Maurits van Rees wrote:
> Yes.  But you may want to search the archives of the debian-user and
> debian-devel mailing lists of the past few weeks, as there have been
> discussions about this subject.  I have hardly read it all, but I
> think there were people running testing that had no problem installing
> the plain tarball from mozilla.org.

I don't know about Firefox, but the following bug

  mozilla should protect special characters from interpretation by the
shell

has never been fixed in Mozilla. Note that the scripts provided in
the Debian packages don't have this problem.

> True, and I've used testing for well over a year, until sarge became
> stable.  But unstable doesn't seem to be that bad, though I don't
> think anyone will recommend it for servers.  Installing apt-listbugs
> and apt-listchanges will help.  And yes, you must be prepared for the
> occasional breakage.

With testing too.

----- Message from Vincent Lefevre <vincent@vinc17.org> on Wed, 17 Aug 2005
13:27:45 +0200 -----

        To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

On 2005-08-17 13:06:09 +0200, Jonathan Kaye wrote:
> Another way to go is to not wait for debian packages. I go directly
> to the firefox, thunderbird, openoffice, etc. and download the
> latest releases. I'm running Firefox 1.0.6 on testing (2.6.8-2) with
> zero problems. Same for TB 1.0.6 and OO 1.9.122. I can't recall
> every having a problem with firefox running this way. Download the
> tarball from the FF site, extract the files to a folder (usually
> called firefox-installer) and then copy the folder to its permanent
> home (I stick it in /opt). Rename the previous folder (if you have
> one) firefox.old, then rename firefox-installer, firefox and that's
> all there is to it.

But you need to recompile firefox if you don't have an x86 architecture.

----- Message from "Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@familiasanchez.net> on
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 08:46:28 -0400 -----