Re: pppd and dhcp questions [WAS: demon usb modem [WAS: suggestions of uncapped Broadband >512Kbp in UK]]

On Tuesday 16 Aug 2005 17:23, michael wrote:
> > okay, it should be my demon login. but althought it says
> >  ADSL line is up (...)
> > it then does several
> >  DHCPDISCOVER on eth0...
> > ending with
> >  No offers received
> >
> > but once in to X I can do 'sudo pon speedtch' and am away... so it seems
> > am just missing something in the boot scripts....
>
> so the new questions are
>
> a) how to circumvent having to do 'pon' by hand each time
> b) what to do about the dhcpdiscover msgs (they take ages too)
> c) and what does
>   Cannot determine ethernet address for proxy ARP
> mean when I do do 'pon' by hand?
>
> I'm busy reading the pppd man pages but it's heavy going!
>
> thanks, michael
>
> > ta, M
> >
> > --
> > Michael Bane
> > Atmospheric Physics Group
> > University of Manchester
>
> --
> Michael Bane
> Atmospheric Physics Group
> University of Manchester

Hello, again.

(Sorry I've taken so long to get back to you - bit of a personal nightmare.)

Anyway - the problems with DHCPDISCOVER are there because you are not using
eth0 for dial up - you are using ppp0

eth0 should be your network card in your machine. If you are not using your
network card, then comment out the relevant eth0 section
in /etc/network/interfaces . If you don't want to change the file, then you
can just Ctrl-C the discover things when you have waited long enough (e.g.
after the first failure)/

With my install I then create a file called: /etc/ppp/ppp_on_boot with the
following contents:

#!/bin/sh

PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
export PATH

exec pppd call demon-adsl

That should be it,

Cheers,