Re: udev - easy setup ?

On Friday 05 August 2005 06:03, Nate Bargmann <n0nb@networksplus.net>
(<[🔎] 20050805120356.GK4585@mail.networksplus.net>) wrote:

> * Jules Dubois <j6bqszk02@sneakemail.com> [2005 Aug 05 01:15 -0500]:
>
>> When I first installed it, I didn't do any sort of configuration.  I
>> didn't see any difference in how my system worked, until I looked in /dev
>> where the dozens (hundreds?) of device nodes I don't use were gone.
>
> Well, that should restore some inodes back to the system at the very
> least.

/dev is mounted as a tmpfs filesystem with "transient" inodes.  With older
versions of udev, I think the original /dev directory was moved
to /.dev,and so it still used some inodes on /.  With udev 0.65, /.dev is
gone and I don't know if it's just moved.

> I don't like comparing Debian and Windows, but here is an experience
> from yesterday.  I have an IBM T42 at work without a 3.5" floppy drive,
> of course.  Since more of these things are showing up, we decided it
> might be wise to get a USB floppy.  We got it yesterday, new in the
> box.  I plugged it into the T42 which runs XP, of course, and the OS
> picked it right up, assigned it as drive A, and I went right to
> formatting a disk in it and copying a file.  Didn't even need the
> driver CD.

That's a good indication that it should (or could) work the same on Linux.
The fact you didn't need a driver CD may be evidence that Windows XP relies
on a built-in database to identify USB mass-storage drive types.  My
experience with XP is limited; the first time I attached an Apple iPod to
an XP system, it wanted a driver.

> Right now I have some custom Hotplug scripts for my Jump Drive and my
> camera.  They are a kludge, but they get the job done.

Where are hotplug scripts on a Debian system?  Maybe I could locate a clue.