client authentication in exim4, sarge vs. sid

Hello list,

I could sure use some pointers on trouble shooting this one. I am
running a Debian Sid system using exim4 to send my mail to a smart host
who requires authentication, and have it working okay. The steps were
actually simple. My exim4 is version 4.52, and I did nothing beyond
placing the necessary entries in /etc/exim4/passwd.client and
/etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf, then doing the usual update and
restarting.

Now I am attempting to duplicate the above on a Debian Sarge box, where
exim4 is version 4.50, and where the identical instructions for
achieving authentication are present. I plugged the same data into the
Sarge files as I have in the corresponding Sid files. But my ISP rejects
my mail advising me that "authentication is required" when I send from
Sarge, but happily accepts the mail when sent from Sid.

I'm sure there must be something I have neglected to install on the
Sarge box, but I have no clue as to where to look. I am not new to
Linux, not even to Debian any more, but I have had very little
experience with encryption and authentication.

Why won't my Sarge box do what my Sid box does? Where should I look for
differences? Any suggestions are not only welcome, but eagerly awaited.

Chuck

But you can still get downloads from http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh