Re: ISO Images from fully installed hd?

On 8/3/05, Fernando Cacciola <fernando_cacciola@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Dave Ewart wrote:
>
> >> I have Sarge successfully installed in a machine, using just the
> >> netinst CD.
> >> Now I want it on another machine... I can of course use the netinst CD
> >> once again and wait for all the packages to download, but I was
> >> wondering if I can somehow create a set of ISO images using the machine
> >> were debian is already installed.
>
> >If you kept copies of the downloaded packages (in /var/cache/apt), then
> >you should be able to use jigdo to build an ISO.
>
> Ok, I see about 864 items there, so I take that apt kept the downloaded
> packages.
> (They sum-up about 593Mb which fits 1 CD, and that's unexpected because the
> "official" distribution has lots of CDs)

Most of the CDs have rarely used packages, so it's no surprise you
don't have most of them installed.

> Anyway, how do I use jigdo to build an ISO? I've never used jidgo before so
> I've _scanned_ the jigsaw site, the faqs and the list archives but found
> nothing.

Install jigdo-file, then run:
jigdo-lite http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/3.1_r0a/i386/jigdo-cd/debian-31r0a-i386-binary-1.jigdo

When it asks for a directory to scan, give it /var/cache/apt/packages

Note that this builds the whole first CD - I don't think jigdo is
available for the netinst images.