Re: How to stop X, to get a text mode console (new to Debian, need help)

Hans-Peter Sulzer wrote:
How can I shutdown X to get a normal text mode terminal,

Ctrl-Alt-F1, followed by (see below)
Currently the Gnome Display Manager (gdm?) is loaded
when booting (graphical login), and there seems to be
no option, to stop it, to get a text mode tty.

/etc/init.d/gdm stop

How can I change my installation, so that it uses
the KDE display manager, which I have heard, has
the possibility to stop X, to get a text tty.

aptitude install kdm
(or if it's already installed, "dpkg-reconfigure kdm")

And how (with gdm and kdm) can I restart X11, after
doing some things in text mode (it takes a long time
to reboot Debian completely)

startx

or

/etc/init.d/gdm start