Re: Qemu ( was vmware )

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 09:45:37 +0300
David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il> wrote:

> The Win98 CD that I have is a upgrade CD and is not bootable. Attempts to run
> it after successfully booting a DOS diskette designed to Win98 installations
> in qemu fail (and it may not be possible to install "from scratch" into an
> image file with an upgrade CD but I would like to have it start and then tell
> me so!)

I installed Milleium from a non bootable CD.

It wasn't an upgrade copy so it was easier for me. I wasn't using a
"dos" disk I used a boot disk that was created by Win 98. If this is
what you mean by 'DOS diskette designed to Win98 installations', then
it should work.

When you boot the floppy or floppy image in my case, then it should
tell you what drive letter was given to the cdrom, E: in my case. Then
type:

e:
setup

: should get you going.

I have not tried switching CDs while I have a QEMU session running,
but if you hit the key combination:

Ctrl Alt 2

: while the session is running this should give you the QEMU console
and from there typing:

help

: gives you a list of available commands. The combination of:

Ctrl Alt 1

: gets you back to the session.

There are commands for allowing you to change the CD, so when you are
asked for proof that you qualify for the upgrade you should be able to
drop to the console issue the appropriate command and swap the CD to
the older version of Windows that qualifies you for the upgrade, switch
back to the session, have the installer verify that you qualify, drop
to the console again and do the necessary stuff to swap the disks again,
switch back the the QEMU session and continue the installation.

You mentioned a disk image, but just to be sure nothing is left out.
Before doing all of the above you need to have created a disk image and
then on that image created a partition and formatted that partition just
as you would have to with a real hard disk. I am thinking the upgrade
versions of 98 did not provide that capability during setup if an
unformatted/unpartitioned disk was encountered, so you need to make
sure your boot floppy has both the fdisk and the format commands. If
not I am fairly sure the floppy images from http://www.bootdisk.org/
include all of these, in which case you could use the floppy image as
your floppy instead of /dev/fd0.

Later, Seeker