Re: Standard 2.6.8 Debian kernel is not working!! Why? Please help!

On Sunday 31 July 2005 19.55, ZeeGeek wrote:
> I did my first Debian installation yesterday and met the same problem when
> I did a reboot. So I did some searches in
> www.linuxquestions.org<http://www.linuxquestions.org>and saw one post
> suggesting that it might be the initrd line in
> grub.conf. then I changed "initrd (hd0,8)/boot/initrd.img-2.6.8" to "initrd
> (hd0,8)/boot/initrd.img-2.6.8 root=/dev/hda9" and everything worked ever
> since. I thought it was root=/dev/hda9 which tells initrd where to look for
> some of the files so that if you missed it, it would never know where to
> locate /dev/console.
>
> On 7/31/05, Björn Johansson <bjorn.johansson@4a-consulting.com> wrote:
> > At 18:37 2005-07-31, you wrote:
> > >Hi,

> > server

> > can't

> > > the console device, maybe? Hmm...

> > >Did you specify the right initrd.img to use to your bootloader (lilo or
> > >grub)?
> > >
> > >--
> > >strawks <strawks@yahoo.fr>
> >
> > Well.. I haven't specified anything. Like I said
> > before, I installed a precompiled
> > package from my Debian system using Dselect. I have several kernels to
> > boot
> > from and I really would like to get a 2.6 working, because the graphics
> > don't
> > work 8-(, and the kernel can't find my MX 1000 laser mouse + the standard
> > 2.4 kernel can't even find my ATi Radeon(9800XT) card. I'm thinking right
> > now
> > that before I should switch to Suse instead! But I have been using Debian
> > since
> > 1999, so I don't really want to change to another distribution unless I
> > really
> > haveto. This Debian Sarge distribution just
> > didn't like my hardware and the cause
> > of that was because the netinstall used a 2.4
> > kernel instead of 2.6. Not cool! Before,
> > when I ran Woody I had a working system together with a 2.6 kernel which
> > I had
> > compiled for myself. It was working nice, but then I decided to reformat
> > the
> > system with Sarge instead. The old system was in a mess, and I didn't
> > want to mix the old with the new.
> >
> > I read something about that there could be missing files in /dev.
> > I will check this out later. Right now I'm sitting with WindowsXP,
> > again.. I need to switch off the computer and change harddrive since a
> > dualboot solution makes it too hot inside the case. :-( Oh
> > well, that's another story. :-)
> > Interesting to see how many tips I can get in this thread, I'll wait a
> > bit..
> >
> > Björn

Just wanted to say that I have a fully working system now.
Debian Sarge is working fine with my hardware! 8-)
But I guess I need to compile myself a kernel despite this,
as usual. The 3D graphics is really slow and the sound don't
work either. Overall, it feels fast work with and it doesn't
surprise me, I have been using Debian for a long, long time. :-)

I'm using 2.4.27 and I have also installed the latest drivers from
ATi. So 2D graphics is working excellent! I mostly use my system
for mail and internet, so there's no panic right now. But in a week
or two I'm hoping to test out the demo version of Doom 3 here
in Linux. I've understood there was an native version somewhere..
Oh well, that's not important. I use WindowsXP for games, but if
the Linux community together with companies such as ATi and
nVidia brings out kick ass drivers, then I might switch to Linux
totally. Maybe the Windows Longhorn (now called Vista) makes
people realise that Windows isn't so well suited for games afterall,
when comparing against Linux? Well, I can dream, can't I? :-D

Björn