Re: newbie can't install 3.1

On 26 July 2005 schrieb Evans wrote:

> I don't know much, and figured the best way to learn linux is by having
it.
> Unfortunately, the installation looked like it only half succeeded.  The
gui
> won't work, and it won't auto-config my network card (I'm often on a big
> lan, and windows works).  Of that I am certain, and other things might
not
> work either.  I'm seeing a lot of "blabbedy blah failed to load" or
similar
> in the boot-up process.  Unfortunately, I can't take screenshots to
> troubleshoot, because I have to reboot to run windows, the OS where I can
> get on the internet, and therefore any possible support.  Any help would
be
> most appreciated.  I'm sorry if I'm asking the wrong people, but I just
> haven't seen any newbie faqs or mailing lists.

OK, I hope I understand you really. Your'e an absolute beginner on UNIX?
That's what we talk about here.

A good start is "Knoppix". It is based on Debian, runs directly from
CD/DVD (4.0), _and_ per default you can't write to your disks (locally
and network). Of course you can, but you must explicitly set this
feature.
It detects all your drives (even OS/2 ones!) and mounts them read only
:-)
(Every drive must be mounted on UNIX, before it can be used ? albeit
nowadays auto mounter exists for special drives (like CD/DVDs,
USB-sticks).

Knoppix is of course delivered with _all_ autoloaders (I haven't 'til
now not seen any PC, where it didn't boot to GUI. Sound-, printing-
Internet-support after a really short and very simply configuration).

You can install it later on a Partition on your hard disk and you have
nearly a real Debian installation. It is not a real distribution (like
Fedora/Red Hat or SUSE), because, when installing, you can't select
any packages. It just installs all packages, which are also available
in the CD-version...   _ B U T _ it doesn't configure them, and, for
the first time, you are (most probably) root, when you log in. In
Knoppix (from CD) you mustn't log in (there are no passwords allowed).
If you want to start programs for which you need root access, you
must (in Knoppix) use the "sudo" command, e. g.:

cfdisk
"Error, only root may do this"

sudo cfdisk
[starts the interactive FDISK program of Linux, nearly as pretty
as the OS/2-FDISK :-)]

After you have installed it you have some problems (for me one
of the greatest, was to get Internet access via ISDN, AFAIK).

AND, if you have installed it, you most often want a printer ;-)
You never have thought about it, as long as you have played
(IMHO "flirting" would be better) with it. It is very good
then, if you have a PostScript printer. I have had the luck
to have one :-) But I have heard a lot of trouble, people
have had with printers not supporting PostScript (you then
normally have to use the GhostScrips program).

Then, and only then, you can start using it. You can start,
to figure out the excellent package management tools, to
install _and_ deinstall (purge)"programs". You can even
simply compile your favorite programs. For me it was the
Sinclair Ql emulator of Richard Zidlicky (DUNNO if spelling
is correct). "QL" is the Computer, Linus Torvalds have had
used, before he bought the famous '386 on which he developed
Linux (which doesn't have had a name at this time). The
first Linux programs were two programs. I don't know exactly
what they did, but principally the following scheme:

progA PRINT A
progB PRINT B

Linus was absolutely happy, that this worked ? on a computer
(at this time, 1991 or so) normally running with a MS-DOS
operating system.

Please note, it was not one program, which printed A and
then B. It were two programs running at the same time,
totally independent, one printing A, the other B. In
QDOS (OS of the QL) such things  were a "Klacks" (as on an
Amiga ? which appeared one and a halve year later) ? but
for a DOSe (nickname in German for PCs with
DOS/Windows-Operating Systems) this was revolutionary(!).
BTW: This is called Multitasking.

Well try Knoppix, and see if you like UNIX (very, very
good), Linux (meanwhile very, very good), BSD (even
better, but difficult to find friends, who can help you).

You have to learn a new operating system, but you should,
before you learn it, know, if you like it. If you don't
like it, don't learn it, but learn another operating
system (Symbian, sounds similar to Debian :-), is very
pretty, but is currently IMHO only available for mobile
phones) or stay with Windows.

In Martin F. Kraffts book "The Debian System" ? buy
the version of "open source Press" ? it lays flat - there
is one important sentence. I couldn't find it now, but
it says: Debian will not be the most power full operating
system in the world, but the most power full operating
system for its users. (It isn't it currently for me,
cause OS/2 is better, especially because of its WPS - grin)

> Thanks
> Dan

If you are really a real Newbie, I hope, this would have
helped you.