Re: cups in debian?? Resend to list

On Monday 01 August 2005 08:06, Shark Wang wrote:
>all you x-window startup based on this file '.xinitrc', pls check
> out at your home directory!
>
># more ~/.xinitrc
>
>for gnome, it should be 'exec gnome-sessions'

And is there a corresponding 'kde-sessions'?  The short answer is no.

And the file you reference doesn't exist on a 3.1 system.

Duh!  I just found it, on the login screen, under 'session'.  Seems to
work ok, although largely unconfigured but I can fix that as time
goes by.

Now, I just installed another bunch of utilities, using syntaptic, I
like its interface better.  Samba was included, and I've setup all
the dirs its to mount under /smbshares, copied over my samba startup
scripts and modified them for that path as a mount point.  These are
scripts that have been working here since forever to cross mount all
the local stuff.

But, when exec'd on the deb3.1 system, this consistent error is
output:
-----------
shop:/etc/init.d# ./asmb start
Starting share coyote:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock
on //coyote.coyote.den/public,
       missing codepage or other error
       dmesg | tail  or so
-----------
with a repetition for each share it attempts to mount, from either of
the other two machines.  The returned message is so instant I don't
think it even hits my LAN.

Here is one of those mount commands from that starter script, somewhat
redacted:

mount -t smbfs -o
username=xxxxxx,password=xxxxxxxxxx //gene.coyote.den/public /smbshares/gene

The rest are similarly formatted.

The dmsg|tail shows this:
----------------
shop:/etc/init.d# dmesg|tail
smbfs: mount_data version 1919251317 is not supported
smbfs: mount_data version 1919251317 is not supported
smbfs: mount_data version 1919251317 is not supported
smbfs: mount_data version 1919251317 is not supported
smbfs: mount_data version 1919251317 is not supported
smbfs: mount_data version 1919251317 is not supported
smbfs: mount_data version 1919251317 is not supported
smbfs: mount_data version 1919251317 is not supported
smbfs: mount_data version 1919251317 is not supported
smbfs: mount_data version 1919251317 is not supported

And I have NDI what this is really trying to tell me...

Doing an earlier /etc/init.d/samba start gave me this:

shop:/etc/init.d# ps -ea|grep nmbd
14972 ?        00:00:00 nmbd
shop:/etc/init.d# ps -ea|grep smbd
14974 ?        00:00:00 smbd
14975 ?        00:00:00 smbd
shop:/etc/init.d#

A dpkg -s samba claims its version
Version: 3.0.14a-3

On this FC2 box, rpm says:
samba-3.0.10-1.fc2

And on the old firewall box:
samba-2.2.7-3.7.3

And as I said, the latter 2 versions work against each other quite
well.

So it appears I have enough of a missmatch in samba versions, or in
the smbmount versions that its not going to work.  Is there a
workaround short of updateing the samba installed on the other two
machines here, or is there a compatibility switch I can set in the
respective smb.conf's?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)