Re: newsreader (was Re: knoppix DVD 4.0)

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 08:11:27AM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 09:59:09AM +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
> >
> > I has been a long time since I have been actively reading
> > newsgroups. Long ago I have used tin and gnus to do that.  I would not
> > recoommend gnus for newbies. It is not the easiest reader to set up
> > but it is very powerful.
>
> I stopped using tin a few (maybe 5) years ago, because every time I started
> it it gave me a list of hundreds (seemed like thousands) of new newsgroups
> I had to decide, one by one, whether to subscribe to.  It just took too
> long to get the the messages I wanted.
>
> Has this changed?

I don't use tin, but if there's an option to unsubscribe automatically
from new groups (or not list them at all) I'm sure it will be in the
man page.

> Nowadays I use Pan, under X.  I should try sometime if Pan also has
> a text console interface...

It hasn't.

> Or some documentation.

Only on the website.

If tin can't do what you want, you could try slrn with this option in
your .slrnrc:

	set unsubscribe_new_groups 1

which will mark new groups as unsubscribed, or call slrn with the -n
option, to avoid checking for new groups.

--
PJR :-)