Ethereal - Assertion Failed when starting (Sid)

When starting ethereal on Sid, the following error message occurs:

$ ethereal

(ethereal:6757): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion
`G_IS_OBJECT(object)' failed
(ethereal:6757): Pango-CRITICAL **: _pango_engine_shape_covers:
assertion `PANGO_IS_FONT (font)' failed
(ethereal:6757): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion
`G_IS_OBJECT(object)' failed
(ethereal:6757): Pango-CRITICAL **: _pango_engine_shape_shape: assertion
`PANGO_IS_FONT (font)' failed
Pango-ERROR **: file shape.c: line 75 (pango_shape): assertion failed:
(glyphs->num_glyphs > 0)
aborting...
Aborted

Ethereal then quits. Ethereal and all its packages are completely up-to-date
(as of 7/2/05). Searching the archives provided no information.

No 3rd party ethereal plugins are installed, and I have tried reinstalling
ethereal and its dependencies. Other packages with the same library
dependencies work fine.

An strace is available here:

http://aaube.nipl.net/ethereal.strace

I don't see anything in the strace output that suggests a problem - but
someone with more skill at reading it might see something I missed.

I filed a bug report about this (#316650), but it does not seem to be a
reproducible error. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Adam