Re: courier or cyrus ?

On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 11:55 +0700, Khanh Cao Van wrote:
> Which is better ? Why ? I need some information before chose one of
> them . Thank you !

I cannot tell you which is better, but I can tell you they have
strengths in different places.   I've used courier for years, and I've
never had any issues with it.  You apt-get install it and forget about
it.   The only downside I can see is that it gets slower with large
mailboxes.

Here's where I like Cyrus.  I have a number of mail folders with mailing
list mails (I don't delete anything).  I make subfolders for each year
in each inbox to archive the past year's mail in.  So I have a lot of
mail folders that have between 30,000 and 70,000 mails in them each.
This gets very slow in courier, but hardly slows down in Cyrus.

Another advantage of Cyrus is that it has a built in cluster
architecture, called MURDER (I think).  Once this is set up, adding more
machines to cope with increased load becomes easier.

The downside is that Cyrus is a bit more complex to configure, the
official docs is as old as the mountains, and (my worst gripe), it
doesn't like it if you fiddle with the underlying file/directory
structure of the mailboxes.

--
Kind regards
Hans du Plooy