Re: No 1028x786 resolution on HP M50 Monitor On Sarge

Angelina Carlton wrote:

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 09:54:06PM +0000, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
Thanks to all for the very quick response and for copying me direct. Noticed you didn't copy list so am taking the liberty and doing so. I'm using this response to
reply to all for efficiency but all responses have a reply.  See below.

Opps, I should have sent a copy to both you and the list.

ChatagnierL-Home:/etc/devfs# modprobe r128.ko
FATAL: Module r128.ko not found.
ChatagnierL-Home:/etc/devfs# modprobe /lib/modules/2.6.8-2-686/kernel/drivers/char/drm/r128.ko FATAL: Module /lib/modules/2.6.8_2_686/kernel/drivers/char/drm/r128.ko not found.
ChatagnierL-Home:/etc/devfs#
PS-the above path is taken right out of the locate output after being updated.

Try: modprobe r128
I don't think you need to add the .ko extension.
(I could be wrong in this case but I have never loaded a module using
its name+extenstion, maybe both methods work, someone on the list will
know this for sure)
Actually, I used both. modprobe r128 just returned the cursor but I couldn't find r128 with lsmod. Today, lsmod shows its there. I guess I could have overlooked it as the list is long. Also read the link you provided and came to conclusion r128 doesn't apply to my video card. Doesn't seem to hurt anything though and I know that is was
loaded before when all resolutions were working.

To: cmatheson3@yahoo.com, Yes, I'm aware and at one time when all resolutions were working it showed up in the config file. Have been a little afraid to manually edit the file do to the warnings at the beginning of the file. I've always did a dpkg or wajig reconfigure selecting simple monitor configuration and sellecting the 1028x786 resolution on the popup screen if it wasn't already selected.

Don't worry about the warning, the warning should serve to remind you
to first backup the file you are about to edit.
If you are at a point in your learning where you cannot comfortably
backup a file with cp, restore it with mv, then no, do not attempt
editing the file.
Learn the basic copy, and move procedures before
anything else as linux is all about text files, and the more
comfortable you are with manipulating text files, the easier things
like this will be for you.

Once you get this working, you will learn to hang onto these files,
keep a backup copy of the XF8config to use if you ever reinstall.
I'm ok here and have done it. Actually I created a backup of it in past but, I think something I did with wajig may have rm it. Just started using wajig and may have
done something wrong.

To: All, After modifying XF86Config-4 and rebooting, I still seem to have only 2 resolution using cntrl-alt-++ but the screen looks to have a finer grain like the 1024x786 resolution. Is there a way to explicitly tell what screen resolution is running? I should know how, but not on Debian.

you can use xdpyinfo from a terminal.

xdpyinfo | grep dimensions

 dimensions:    1920x1200 pixels (524x331 millimeters)
This helps as I thought I may have the 1028x786 resolution after rebooting but the
results still shows:
lchata@ChatagnierL-Home:~$ xdpyinfo | grep dimensions
 dimensions:    800x600 pixels (282x212 millimeters)
lchata@ChatagnierL-Home:~$
Now, I'm really at a lost. I changed my XF86Config-4 as follows before rebooting:
SubSection "Display"
               Depth           24
               Modes           "1028x786" "800x600" "640x480"
       EndSubSection
Hope there are more suggestions to follow and thanks for the command to read
screen resolutions.  I've looked for one but didn't know where to look.

Leonard Chatagnier