Re: Woody to Sarge "stable"?

Rhomboid Goatcabin wrote:
I've got about 30 systems running woody right now and they automatically keep themselves up to date using cron-apt (I actually have it apply the updates). I've only been a Debian user for a little over a year but have been very impressed with the stability of the system and how well the updates to stable are truly stable and don't tend to break things.

I've never been through a major version upgrade in a Debian release. I've done a few woody to sarge manual updates and had to do some hand-holding and fix a few things. My sources.list files are using specifically "stable" and I'm wondering what happens when the Sarge big, red, shiny, candy-like button gets pressed. Do all my systems go and try to install Sarge? I'm guessing probably "yes", but will we get a nice announcement with a fair warning period?

If you want to stay on woody once the switch is made, change instances of 'stable' in sources.list to 'woody'. Add duplicate lines with 'sarge in them instead' and modify your cron-apt to use woody instead of stable.

When the time comes, you can update packages at a slower rate by doing `apt-get -t sarge install package]'.

I have found this works well for me (although I don't keep the systems automatically updated with cron-apt, I am generally working with the systems I maintain all the time to remember to do this when need be) and is an easy way to update only the things I want to and let certain services get updated at times of mimimal use to reduce the noticibility it something happens that shouldn't (or I didn't expect).