Need help converting Quicktime/MOV to DVD

I captured home video from a Sony camcorder to my G3 running 10.3 via
iMovie.   I then used iMovie to convert the captured files to MOV -
averaging 12 - 13 gig per file.

I now want to perform the final step of burning the MOV files to DVD.

I tried doing this with Roxio Toast 6 Lite but its encoder was so horrible
the resulting video on DVD was horrendous.   I tried one burn to test
timing and quality.   I have since learned I probably need to convert the
MOV files to MPEG2, and then to DVD format?   My G3 is too underpowered
and my budget cannot affort the expense of testing various utilities for
10.3 to see whether or not they might work.

What is the best way under Debian to:

- Prepare the MOV files for DVD?

- Burn the resulting files to DVD?

I have a Pentium II with 384 Meg RAM and a Pentium III with 384 Meg RAM.
Ample disk space on both.

Thanks.

Scott