Re: problems with eps

On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 10:55:42PM +0200 or thereabouts, Felix Natter wrote:
> Steve A <kru_tch@yahoo.ca> writes:
> >
> > Is there any particular reason for using '.eps' ? Is it to be printed ? I would
> > use gif or png and make the background transparent.
>
> I am using a standard LaTeX document class for presentations (prosper),
> which requires me to use latex+dvips+ps2pdf, and dvips only supports
> .eps for images...

O OK

> Do you have the same problems? I can't imagine why a simple bitmap->bitmap
> conversion (without loss, as opposed to jpeg!) would have this kind
> of effect. Must be a bug somewhere!

No, but then I don't use the same tools. I use Adobe products and if using the
.eps as the end format -- The transparency might need to be flattened before
saving as .eps.

> > You should be able to make
> > the eps transparent as well -- I'm not sure of the GIMPs capabilities in that
> > format.
>
> GIMP reports that "eps does not support transparency".

You might be able to use PNG, make the background transparent, flatten, then
save as .eps. See if that works ...

--
Steve A.
Monday May 30 2005 08:25:01 EDT