Re: [OT] Debian is ugly -- package for beautification?

On 2005-05-16, Hal Vaughan penned:
> On Sunday 15 May 2005 07:31 pm, Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
>>
>> See, I thought about this, especially because Ron said "SO" instead
>> of some more gender-specific term.  Either he's implying something
>> about the OP's female partner, or he's implying something about the
>> OP's gay male partner.  Either way, it's a stereotype.
>
> No it isn't.  I know a lot of Linuxers who have an SO (of either
> same or opposite gender) who don't like Linux for a number of
> reasons, including a UI they don't like because it isn't appealing.
> I know I, who have been using Linux for a number of years (almost
> exclusively) find it is much easier for me to work on with a
> pleasing UI -- I've even noticed that I get more done when I have a
> UI that "feels" good.

Right, so when someone asks for a "prettier" interface and someone
else responds "Is that what's keeping your SO from using Linux?" --
without ANY suggestion from the OP that the issue has ANYTHING to do
with their SO -- you don't think it's the least bit odd?

The funny part is that he implied an insult to people who want a
"pleasing UI," and you don't even realize it.

> There's a difference to calling something BS when it is BS versus
> when one decides to be offended by it.

Sure.

Regardless, I'm done with this particular line of discussion.

--
monique

Ask smart questions, get good answers: