Debian and Bootslash, a Paradox?

Hi after messing with bootsplash for a while, I became convinced I had broken it, so I tried uninstalling bootsplash and everything to do with it and then reinstalling it. But now when I try to reninstall it I get the following output:

Snip
[code]
Selecting previously deselected package bootsplash-theme-newlinux.
Reading database.  212901 files and directories currently installed.
Unpacking bootsplash-theme newlinux from bootsplash theme newlinux 0.5-5 all.deb
Selecting previously deselected package bootsplash-theme-kanotix.
Unpacking bootsplash-theme-kanotix from ...bootsplash-theme-kanotix_0.5-5_all.deb...
Selecting previously deselected package bootsplash.
Unpacking bootsplash from ...bootsplash_3.1-11_i386.deb ...

Selecting previously deselected package sysv-rc-bootsplash.
Unpacking sysv-rc-bootsplash from ...sysv-rc-bootsplash_1.0.0-5_i386.deb ...
Setting up sysv-rc-bootsplash 1.0.0-5 ...
Testing if patches apply cleanly...
Patching files...
patching file etc/nit.drcS
patching file etcinit.drc

Setting up bootsplash-theme-newlinux 0.5-5 ...
dpkg: error processing bootsplash-theme-newlinux --configure:
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10
Setting up bootsplash-theme-kanotix 0.5-5 ...
dpkg: error processing bootsplash-theme-kanotix --configure:
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of bootsplash:
bootsplash depends on bootsplash-theme-newlinux  bootsplash-theme; however:
 Package bootsplash-theme-newlinux is not configured yet.
 Package bootsplash-theme is not installed.[/code]

Which is utterly nonsensical. Bootsplash is marked as a dependency of bootsplash-theme-newlinux. However bootsplash can't be configured, because bootsplash-theme-newlinux isn't configured yet. Bootsplash theme newlinux is marked as a dependency of bootsplash (it needs bootslpash installed before it can be configured correctly) however bootsplash-theme-new-linux can't be configured, because bootsplash isn't properly installed yet. Which is an impossible paradox!

The question is, how do I overcome this seeingly impossible situation?

GJ