Re: Eclipse: X eats up 280 MB of memory

On 5/9/05, hjvm@freenet.de <hjvm@freenet.de> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm using KDE, six virtual desktops and a two-head setup with two
> screens of 1280x1024 resolution. When my machine is started top
> shows that X takes about 40 MB of memory. That seems normal to
> me. But when I start Eclipse X eats 280 MB of memory. Is this normal?
> Together with some other applications my 512 MB of RAM are full and
> it uses 890 MB of Swap!

X usage can also include your video memory, so it's not allways a
problem when it seems to use a lot of memory (check the FAQ in the
package docs). Now you state after that you're using 890MB of Swap, is
that also from the JVM or are your other apps using it? Specifically,
what does top say about resident memory usage?

> I'd rather like not to buy another 512 MB RAM just for Eclipse... Is there
> a chance to reduce the memory consumption? Are others experiencing
> similar effects?

When I start eclipse java uses up 43MB of physical memory. Is this
v2.1 from non-free or 3.0? Could be that some sort of memory leak is
occurring in the 2.1, I've heard earlier that the 3.0 version solved
some bugs to this regard. You might want to download it and compare.

Wim