Re: apt CDROM Method

On Tuesday 03 May 2005 05:24 pm, Bill Marcum wrote:
> On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 04:48:27PM -0500, Mr Mike wrote:
> > apt CDROM method /var/lib/apt/methods/CDROM has quit finding my DVDRW
> > for some reason.
> >
> > I recently modified my fstab and mountpoints in /media to reflect the
> > actual device types..  ie: /media/cdrom0 to /media/dvdrw and
> > /media/cdrom1 to /media/cdrw In the event I should add another optical
> > disk then I plan to add appropriate numbers to the mount points (
> > /media/dvdrw2 etc..) These changes haven't effected any other app that
> > requires or needs access to the DVD....
> >
> > So...  just how do I get apt to find the device?  There is a file
> > /var/lib/apt/cdroms.list but I have no idea if it is editable or not
> > and if it is, what to change.  It appears to have a md5 sum of the
> > disk or something at the beginning of each device but uummm...  I'm
> > just way outa my league here and need help...
> >
> apt-cdrom -d=/media/dvdrw add

Yup..  I found it...  loaded the cdrom but didn't solve the problem..
apt-get install <whatever> or Synaptic, they all still didn't find my DVD..
tried these additional switches I found in man pages..
apt-cdrom -f -d=/media/dvdrw -o Acquire::cdrom::mount=/dev/dvdrw add
(-f = fast.  the media is good so don't check it out for errors)
(-o = add this option to the config file)
Havent' had time to check it out yet but hopeful it worked...

Thanks for the input..

--
Cheers: Mike

.. Now, a little humor compliments of Linux Fortune...

You Earth people glorified organized violence for forty centuries.  But
you imprison those who employ it privately.
  -- Spock, "Dagger of the Mind", stardate 2715.1