Re: Cannot remove 'execute' permission from vfat & ntfs partitions

Thanks Laura,

The four-digit masks did the trick, but I don't understand why 3-digits
work ok for fat but not for ntfs. I'm sure I read somewhere that a
missing first digit should default to zero anyway. I'm even more
confused because the sense of the last three digits is the inverse of
the required permissions, but the first digit is not inverse.

To summarise for the benefit of anyone else who wants to change the
default permissions for vfat and ntfs partitions:

/dev/hda1	/mnt/winC	vfat	uid=1000,gid=1000,dmask=007,fmask=117	0	0

... allows owner and group to navigate, create & delete directories;
and read & write, but not execute files.

/dev/hda6	/mnt/winE	ntfs	uid=1000,gid=1000,dmask=0227,fmask=0337	0	0

... allows owner and group to navigate directories and read, but not
write or execute files.

For those even newer than me - the uid and gid values might be
different on your system, and may be found in '/etc/passwd' and
'/etc/group.

Kevin