Re: apt-get deprecated?

On May 02 2005, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> before I saw the light and started using wajig

You guys started to make so much fuss about wajig that I tried it
yesterday. Wow, I fell in love with it.

For those that don't know, it is a front-end for apt-get, dpkg, debsums,
dpgk-repackage and other package management tools all with a clean and
unified interface for the user.

And it does something that I don't know how to do in aptitude (or, at
least, the manual doesn't mention and nobody here was able to tell me how
to do): list the packages sorted by size.

This is especially useful for those moments when you are tight on disk and
has to remove some big packages of little use. Surely a nice companion to
both deborphan and debfoster (and I'd recommend both for those wanting to
keep a tidy system).

Another nice feature of wajig is that it generates a "snapshot" of those
packages you have installed and which versions they are. Quite nice for
making backups and for those disaster recovery situations.

Hope this helps, Rogério Brito.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/