Re: Lost /dev/modem Symlink After Purging Udev And Reinstalling

> On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 12:52:37PM +0000, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>
> > This request for help is being reposted as no one offered any help.
> > Please, would someone respond with some help, even if its just a link
> > offering a solution that a relative newbie can implement.
> >

> > After Purging udev including rming the entire /etc/udev directory and
> > reinstalling to fix a sound problem I have
> > to create the modem symbolic link, ln -s /dev/ttySHCF0 /dev/modem every
> > time I boot up.

You might want to take a look at /etc/udev/udev.rules. I can't say
anything about what to do with it, but it looks like that's might be the
place to get udev to stop killing your link.

I betcha that's what's been disappearing my mag tape links too.

There's a file called /etc/udev/links.conf, too. It starts with a cute
note from somebody at Debian suggesting that it not be used.

> The solution is to do without /dev/modem.

Or without udev. You'll get a lot of extra junk in /dev, but you also
get a computer system that doesn't magically delete your links with no
notice.

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com