Re: Custom Kernel 2.4.18 = No Loadable Modules?

Tony Vandiver wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>     I started with a Debian Woody Distribution 3.0r5 where the kernel
>     version is 2.2.20.  I couldn't compile the Omnivision ov59x driver for
>     a webcam and so based on the FAQ for the driver, I decided to upgrade
>     to kernel 2.4.  I found some instructions for this, and after a few
>     tries, I now have a semi-working system using kernel version 2.4.18.
>     My problem is that I don't seem to have any modules available for
>     subfolders like net and misc, but my /lib/modules/2.4.18 has no such
>     files.  I tried compiling the driver, and it created a ov59x.o file
>     that I managed to get into /lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/drivers/usb, but
>     now that's the only object file available.  When I built the kernel, I
>     downloaded and untarred the 2.4.18 source, then did :
>

> ln -s /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18 linux
> cd /usr/src/linux
> make menuconfig        # selecting several supported modules including my
> network card and usbcore, usb-uhci... make-kpkg kernel-image

You say you selected them.  Did you select to compile them into the kernel,
or did you select to compile them as modules?  Your symptoms point to the
former.  You won't have modules to load unless you ask for them.

You could, if you wanted, download and install the precompiled 2.4.18, then
take the /boot/config file from that kernel package, place it in your
source directory as .config, then compile, and you'll have all the familiar
modules.  But modules are only necessary when you actually have the
hardware to use them (or suspect one day you will)