Re: apt-get deprecated?

On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 11:39:03AM -0600, Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> On 2005-05-01, Paul E Condon penned:
> >
> > In most cases this is good, but it can lead to aptitude doing really
> > bad things in some special situations. For instance, I once
> > installed kde by requesting the single over-all package that exists
> > only to bring in all the packages needed to give the user a standard
> > kde set-up.  Then, after using it for a while, I decided that a lot
> > of what was there was stuff and clutter that I didn't want. I tried
> > to remove the stuff that I didn't want, but aptitude wouldn't do it,
> > because it insisted that I had to remove the over-all kde package
> > first. But when I removed that, it threatened to remove _all_ kde
> > packages, which is not what I wanted.  I used apt-get to remove the
> > package kde. This made all of kde's component packages into
> > independent packages in the little mind of aptitude. Then I removed
> > the ones that I didn't want without aptitude trashing the rest of my
> > kde set-up.
>
> Ah, yes.  I've run into that kind of obnoxiousness before.
>
> I think the "right" thing to do here would be to mark all the
> kde-related packages as being "manually" installed, or at least some
> key subset.  AIUI, that will promote them to first-class citizens of
> aptitude-land.  But when I ran into the problem, I don't think I knew
> about that.

When I ran into that, during a routine sarge upgrade (seems the kde package
was temporarily absent or something) I went over the list of things it wanted
to delete.  For each one I asked what deoended on it, and followed the chains
up until I found something or nothing I wanted.  Then I explicitly asked to
install that, or not.  After a while, the list was reasonably short and
I was happy with it.

What bothers me are the times I get a huge list of packages to be
deleted because no one wants them, and simultaneously a huge list of
packages to be newly installed.  The trouble is that the lists are
vary similar.  A lot of these packages should have been listed as
upgrades, not deletions and installs.

-- hendrik