Re: apt-get deprecated?

On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 10:10:24AM +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 30 Apr 2005, Jules Dubois wrote:
> > To 'tidy' such a system requires either
> >
> > * knowing a priori which packages can be purged;
> >
> > * trial and error at simulating package removal while noting which
> >   (otherwise desirable or necessary) packages might also be removed; or
> >
> > * using some tool which shows the dependencies of packages you want,
> >   and removing anything which doesn't appear in these lists.
> >
> [snip]
>
> Currently I just do "wajig purge-orphans" occasionally, which seems to do
> the job reliably and safely so far as I can see.

That sounds a lot like orphaner from the deborphan package. I use that
occasionally to remove mainly old libraries from my system. It lets
you simulate what other packages would be removed that depend on
these.

A handy companion is debfoster, from package debfoster. It goes
through the list of installed packages and asks if you want to keep
them installed. It goes like this:

ethereal is keeping the following 6 packages installed:
  ethereal-common gksu libadns1 libadns1-bin libgksu1.2-0 libgksuui1.0-0
Keep ethereal? [Ynpsiuqx?], [H]elp: H

  Yes        Keep ethereal. [default]
  No         Delete ethereal.
  Prune      Delete ethereal and the packages it is keeping installed.
  Skip       Skip this question.
  Help       Print this message.
  Info or ?  Show information about ethereal.
  Undo       Undo last response.
  Quit       Exit without removing packages.
  Exit       Remove unwanted packages and exit.

These two programs help to keep your system tidy.

Public GnuPG key: keyserver.net ID 0x1735C5C2
"Let your advance worrying become advance thinking and planning."
 - Winston Churchill