ssmtp and mutt (Was Re: mutt won't send emails, kmail does)

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 01:31:56AM +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Am 2005-03-28 23:08:13, schrieb geoffthur@ntlworld.com:
>
> > Great; thank you. I installed ssmtp and gave it a try. It sent stuff out
> > okay, but it took me a few hours to work out how to actually get mail
> > back. It doesn't seem to bother with .forward; it's simply a question of
>
>         :-)
>
> > putting mda "/usr/bin/procmail -d geoff" into .fetchmailrc, isn't it? In
>
> If you use procmail and fetchmail as daemon
>
>   __( '/etc/fetchmail' )________________________________________________
>  /
> | # Global
> | set no bouncemail
> | set postmaster	xxxxxx.xxxxxxx.xxxxx@xxxxxxx.xx
> | set invisible
> |
> | # Defaults
> | defaults:
> |     antispam            -1
> |     batchlimit          10
> |     warnings            300
> |     fetchall
> |     expunge             1
> |     mda                 "/usr/bin/procmail -d %T"
> |     dropstatus
> |
> | poll ....
> |   user ...
>  \______________________________________________________________________
>
> In your ~/.fetchmailrc you need only
>
>     mda "/usr/bin/procmail"
>
> > fact, I suppose ssmtp isn't doing anything during mail retrieval at all.
>
> No, ssmtp can only SEND MAIL.  Please read the manpage.

I had already, honest. Several times, when I couldn't get my mail. I've
just had a long day. :-)

> > Or is it? Not that it matters - I can now send and receive mail, and am
> > happy. I managed to lose a few emails because I hadn't got the
> > -d geoff part in there, but it's fine now. Thank you for your kind help,
> > Michelle.
>
> Connect to your mailbox directly from mutt ?
>
> Type "c" the get the mailbox promt and then enter
>
>         pop://account@your.pop-server.tld/
> or
>         imap://account@your.imap-server.tld/
> or
>         imap://account@your.imap-server.tld/
>
> it will ask you for the password and you are on the ISP's Mailserver.

This looks great, but I can't get it to work at the moment. (The last
two are identical, though, surely? Not that it matters, mine is pop.)
I'll try again tomorrow, anyway. Thanks again.

Cheers,

Geoff