Re: how does debian-user work?

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 20:54:42 +0000, Anonymous Coward
<mailfirewall@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am subsribed to debian-users. I sent an e-mail to
> debian-user@lists.debian.org. This e-mail was not sent back to mean
> via debian-user@lists.debian.org, so I'm not sure if I posted  or not.
> Please respond to this e-mail if this post was successfully relayed to
> you.

Nope.  Haven't seen it.

> Also, I am not sure how the reply to system works. In my mail
> client(gmail) when I chose reply, I reply directly to the user. Should
> I instead chose reply and change the address to
> debian-user@lists.debian.org? Will the "Re: <thread name>" be
> logically sorted to the thread I am replying to via
> debian-user@lists.debian.org?

Until Gmail presents a sane interface for mailing lists, I use "Reply
to all", remove the "To:" address, and move the "Cc:" to debian-user
to "To:".  It's a bit of a pain, but it works.  Threading basically
works, as long as the subject doesn't change.  Hopefully one of the
threading improvements they claim to be working on will look at actual
"In-Reply-To" headers.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh