Re: Alsa, the easy way

Hello

Tong (<mlist4suntong@yahoo.com>) wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:16:14 -0500, Tong wrote:
>
>> Is there anywhere I can refer to for an easy way to replace OSS with
>> alsa?
>>
>> I mean, last time I checked, I needed to compile the kernel to do
>> that. I just hope that things are easier nowadays. please help.
>> thanks
>
> Ah, forgot to mention that I'm still using, kernel 2.4.27. The cdrdao
> problem forbid me to upgrade to kernel 2.6... thanks
>
> $ uname -rm
> 2.4.27-1-386 i686

apt-get install alsa-oss alsa-base alsa-utils alsa-modules-2.4-386
kernel-image-2.4-386

Make sure that the OSS driver is not in /etc/modules, and that you don't
have any alias sound-slot-0 entry in /etc/modutils/*. Unload the OSS
driver (or reboot), login at the command line, and run alsaconf (if you
use discover, this is probably not necessary, it will load the driver
automaticallc). Run alsamixer to adjust the volume. That should be all.

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976