Re: Help with Raw CD images? (input/output error)

On Saturday 12 March 2005 16:24, Ognjen Bezanov wrote:

> Hey Thanks All for your help (And the script).  I think I havent given
> enough info regarding what i want to do.
>

> I know I can rip the CD using cdparanoia and do so very often. But
> rather then ripping individual tracks i wanted to create a 'raw'
> cd-audio image, with the same CDDB ID/gaps/toc info etc.... as the
> original.
>
> Essentially i wanted something similar to CUE and ISO files that i have
> seen windows programs like EAC do (EAC can for example store TOC
> contents and Gap info in a cue-sheet)
>
> Essentially i want to make a direct audiocd-to-audiocd copy, but with an
> image in between.

Two programs are needed for what you want to do in non-Windows (unlike the one
program--EAC--needed in Windows). You get an exact copy by using *cdrdao* for
the track information half (TOC/CUE sheet), *cdparanoia* for the audio half
(wav), and cdrdao for burning the disk by combining the audio and
information. My cdrdao + cdparanoia setup is essentially the same as Reid
Priedhorsky's <reid@reidster.net> rp-cdda, and the same as using EAC to
create a CUE sheet + single wav file.

Basic setup:

#---
#READ
# individual track/cue/gap/tag information -> TOC file
cdrdao read-toc --with-cddb --device ATAPI:/dev/cdrw \
--driver generic-mmc --datafile cd.wav cd.toc

# audio portion -> single wav file
cdparanoia "1-" cd.wav -d /dev/cdrw

#---

#WRITE
# TOC file + wav file -> exact copy of original cd
# (preserves gaps, indexed tracks, hidden tracks)
cdrdao write --device ATAPI:/dev/cdrw \
--driver generic-mmc --speed 12 cd.toc

#---

Ha--here are some more scripts:
http://dwdraw.homeunix.org/bin/audio

cdread: Saves cue/track information in a TOC file--cd.toc; saves audio in
cd.wav.
cdwrite: Writes audio cd using cd.toc and cd.wav at speed 12x.
cdrwite24: same as above, but at 24x.
cdrw: Combines cdread and cdwrite, requiring minimal interaction from the user
and two optical drives.

(These are very basic scripts. Edit them to use your correct drive names; they
already use the 2.6 kernel ATAPI/IDE naming/interface. The scripts take no
input and always use files cd.toc and cd.wav.)

I used these scripts to make an exact backup of my CD collection.

Googling for things, you can find ways to convert back and forth from cdrdao's
TOC format to the CUE format for the cue/track information.