Re: LI on boot

Tom Pfeifer wrote:

> Ernst-Magne Vindal wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Marc Perrudin wrote:
> >
> > > Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 15:22:00 +0100
> > > From: Marc Perrudin <perrudin@nerim.net>
> > > To: debian-user <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
> > > Subject: Re: LI on boot

> > > If you reinstall, install sarge directly and use grub instead of lilo so
> > > you don't need a /boot partition.
> > >

> > > --
> > >

> > Hi, is it correct to say "install Grub so you don't need /boot part"?
> >
> > I have used Debian for some years, still newbee, but i've insalled Debian
> > several times, Woody, Sarge and Sid and also several times with dual boot,
> > both with other linux dists and windoze. When I first started I used the
> > /boot part, but this is not nesseserry when installing lilo in MBR. Last
> > years I've NEVER used /boot. Also when windoze crash and need to be
> > reinstalled it deletes the lilo boot loader from MBR, then it's just to
> > boot up with a floppy or cd and run lilo again, jepp, up and running.
> >
> > I have experienced equivalent problem that our friend her when booting I
> > got LI and thats it, then I have deleted MBR from DOS, booted up and rerun
> > lilo,
> >
> > So what is it with this /boot part?
> >
> >  /ernst-magne
>
> The /boot partition was only needed when you either had a BIOS that
> could not access the entire drive, or if you had an older version of
> Lilo that couldn't. In that case you would put the /boot partition near
> the beginning of the drive - the part that could be accessed - in order
> to get the Linux kernel loaded. Once the kernel took over, it could then
> access the entire disk.
>
> The versions of Lilo in both Woody and Sarge do not require a /boot
> partition for this purpose. Grub never did as far as I know. I guess
> some people still like to have a /boot partition for other reasons...
>
> Tom

I should add that if you (still) have a BIOS that can't access the
entire drive, neither Lilo or Grub (any version) will solve that problem
on their own. You would need the /boot partition (or the entire root
partition including /boot) to be within the area of the drive that the
BIOS can access.

Tom