Re: Auto-notify remote user of IP address change?

> Thanks all for that.  I'm going to give dyndns a shot with ddclient.
>
> My original thought was to somehow output the contents of whatismy.com
> to a text file (lynx www.whatismy.cop > .myip ??) and then grep that for
> the part with the IP address and mail the result.  Is this possible or
> am I showing myself up as a hopeless newbie?

No, this is a reasonable solution.  But the dynamic dns approach has
advantages:  it gives you a publicly available hostname (e.g. for making
your server available to friends), and other people have already done the
work of writing the scripts.  You just sign up, install your update client,
and you're done.