Re: What's wrong with debian?

On Mar 02 2005, Eric Gaumer wrote:
> Removing architectures isn't the answer.

Indeed.

> If anything we need to bring on more developers so that the workload can
> be distributed better.

If anything, we should get rid of the "developers" that are way too lazy
and MIA and do things like the creation of teams of developers (like is
done with the Gnome and the teTeX team, for instance).

In fact, shrinking the number of inactive developers (or those that don't
even care if you file a bug to their package) would only benefit Debian,
with less "cruft" to keep.

And now a controversial point of view: each new package offered as an ITP
should pass a "fine comb", just to see if it is actually needed.

There is quite a lot of duplication of (the limited) efforts that the
project as a whole has at its disposal and keeping a zillion packages with
the same functionality just serves to get a higher dispersion of the
(scarce) resources that are the time of maintainers that actually maintain
their packages.

(Yes, I know all the talk about "freedom of choice" here).

It is so ironic to see lazy maintainers doing nothing, while many people do
a lot of good hard work being sponsored by some developers.

In my point of view, if one has committed himself to the project, he has to
honor that commitment. It is, after all, a responsibility that he assumed
with the project and with the users of the Debian OS.

Just my point of view, Rogério.

--
Learn to quote e-mails decently at:
http://pub.tsn.dk/how-to-quote.php